Saturday, July 18, 2009

TIME FOR SOME DOUBLES U SAY?!

Okay so yesterday I just got a vibe to bake and I've been curing this need by making the most delicious beef pies. Although I had minced meat defrosting in the fridge, I decided to venture out of my box. Doubles possibly?

Going into my amazing Naparima Cookbook, I started off by checking to see if I had all the ingredients and lo and behold, I did!! well minus the Turmeric Powder which I suspect was an essential missing ingredient but moving on QUICKLY.

Followed instructions very carefully. Did everything I was supposed to. I even covered with a damp cloth! lol. So this is where typical Solange comes into play. Recipe says: Leave dough to raise for 1 1/2 hours. LOL. So i fell asleep and Mr. Dough raised for 3 hours. Minor issue! I think....


I woke up and continued with my meal making. Punched down the dough and left to rest for 10-15 minutes.

I then started to make the channa which was fairly simple because I had chick peas in a can. Left that to cook and started on frying this 'bharra'. Oil heated and dough punched down and rolled into pieces. Here we go! The first one, the oil may have been a little too hot. But I did not let this get to me. Try #2 then #3 and #4. Hmmm...not bad if I say so myself!

Checked on the channa which was cooking nicely. Took that off the heat and the 'bharra' was suitably cooked by then, so put 2 and 2 together and I had what?! I had DOUBLES!!

If you noticed, I put 'bharra' in quotations merely because it tasted like bake with a touch of cumin but we won't speak of that.

I MADE DOUBLES!!

Disclaimer: Heard from my friend Kyle that apparently real doubles is left to sweat to get it soft AND they're supposed to be fried in ghee. But small isssue!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment